There is no better time of year to experiment with all the Gourd-y Squash-y goodness than Fall, and at our Kitchen, we’re all about experimenting.
Here’s what you’ll need for this deliciousness:
- 1 medium-large Delicata Squash, cut into 1 inch thick discs (see pictures)
- 1 medium-large Leek, cut lengthways and chop
- 1 large Carrot, cut lengthways and chop – we prefer Purple for the color, but any other will do.
- 1-2 medium Shallots, chop
- 1-2 small hot red Pepper such as Chili, Cayenne, Thai, Cherry or any other to your taste and desired spice level, diced as small as you can – It shouldn’t be overwhelmingly spicy, just a subtle hint to complement the other ingredient not overshadow them.
- 4oz package of Shiitake Mushrooms, chopped – Not frozen, any other type will work
- 1 cup of cooked White or Navy Beans
- 1/2 cup of cooked Quinoa
- Handful each of fresh Parsley and Dill
- 2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste, we prefer Pink Himalayan but regular Sea Salt will be just fine.
- To season the Squash: Garlic Powder and Black Pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Optional: Dried Cranberries and Pumpkin Seeds.
- Mandolin with guard – Cut even slices quicker
- Cut resistant Gloves – Protect those digits easily
- Onion Goggles – Well, you are cutting onions.
And to make it, here is what you’ll need to do
- Preheat oven to 400f (205c). Cover an oven proof sheet pan with foil and lightly coat with Cooking Spray.
- Place the Squash discs on the foiled sheet pan, season the top with Salt, Garlic Powder and Black Pepper, bake for 20 minutes. Spray the discs, flip them, season again and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, saute the prepared Leek, Shallots and Carrot in Olive Oil over medium high for a few minutes until softened stirring frequently. Add the Mushrooms and Peppers and continue to stir for a about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the Beans, Parsley and Dill and season to taste.
- Stir in the Quinoa and make sure its well blended. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Once the Squash is ready, pack each with enough of the Quinoa Mixture. You can also spoon some underneath on your serving plate.
- Optional: Top with Dried Cranberries and Pumpkin Seeds and serve.