This is another delicious and easy go to side dish that doesn’t require extensive cooking. It call also be served over rice as a Meatless Main
This is what you will need for 4-6 servings as a side dish:
- 24oz bag of Fresh Green Beans, Haricot Vert or any other long variety of Beans – Do not use frozen beans
- 2 large Onions
- 2-3 medium Shallots
- 8-10 cloves of Garlic, minced – Alternately, using 3-4 tablespoons of the pre-minced store bought variety will work very well just the same.
- 3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste, we prefer Pink Himalayan but regular Sea Salt will be just fine.
- Optional seasoning: Pinch of Lemon Salt (Citric Acid) or Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Mandolin with guard – Cut even slices quicker.
- Cut resistant Gloves – Protect those digits easily.
- Onion Goggles – Well, you are cutting onions.
- Food Steamer – Steams your food and retains more of its nutritional value.
And to make it, here is what you’ll need to do
- Steam the Beans for 11 minutes or according to your appliance directions.
- Cut the onion in half and slice thinly, the thinner the better of course. See our useful tools listed above
- Repeat with the Shallots.
- In a large saucepan heat the Olive Oil on medium high and add the Onion and Shallots after about a minute or two.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mixture becomes translucent, but be careful not to let it brown.
- Add the Garlic, seasoning and salt. Continue stirring for about 3-5 minutes.
- If it becomes too dry, add a 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn the heat off. Add the Beans and stir for a few minutes, coating it well with the Onion, Shallot and Garlic mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.