Here is a super easy alternative to your basic Mashed Potato Side that will sure please those watching their weight, have food sensitivities or allergies as well your picky eaters and those looking for something different.
This is what you will need for 2-4 servings:
- 1 head of Cauliflower, cut into chunks small enough to fit into your steamer, but not too small. Discard the stem and leaves. Do not substitute for frozen Cauliflower
- 1-3 tablespoons of butter. We used a healthier soy and dairy free variety, but any other will do.
- 1-2 cloves of Garlic, chopped – The Garlic can become overpowering very quickly with this recipe – yes, even if you love Garlic. Make sure to add it gradually and taste before adding more.
- Handful of fresh Parsley, chopped.
- Sea Salt to taste, we prefer Pink Himalayan but regular Sea Salt will be just fine.
- Optional seasoning: Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Food Steamer – Steams your food and retains more of its nutritional value, much better than boiling!
- Cheese Cloth – To get rid of as much of the liquid in the Cauliflower as possible
- Emulsion Blender -It is a hand held blender stick that simplifies the blending of soups, purees, etc..
And to make it, here is what you’ll need to do
- Cut the Cauliflower in small enough chunks to fit into your Steamer, but not too small that its a pain to handle or falls through the Steamer holes. Steam for 11 minutes or per your appliance’s directions.
- Place your prepared Cheese Cloth over a deep bowl or Strainer and once ready, remove the Cauliflower and place on on top of the Cheese Cloth. We prefer to do this in small batches to ensure we get rid of as much of the liquid as possible.
- Once done, place the strained/pressed Cauliflower in a large bowl along with the Butter, Garlic, Parsley and Seasoning. Make sure to add the Garlic gradually as it can get very strong quickly.
- Blend with the Emulsion Blender until it reaches the desired consistency and serve.
- If its too thick for your taste, add a little more butter and blend again, it will become smoother.