Though this recipe contains more ingredients than we prefer working with and some extra prep work, you won’t be disappointed with the end result.
We’ve made so many tweaks to the basic ‘Chicken with Garlic and Tomatoes’ recipe you would find in most slow cooker manuals, or books, to have earned the right to call this one our very own. And in time, you too could make enough changes to it and do the same! We still applaud everyone who has ever thought of putting those three together to create any kind of awesome slow cooker goodness – there is just no way you can go wrong with those flavors!
So first off, we’re using the smaller 2 quart slow cooker for this one, keeping the 6 quarts for special events where bigger batches are called for. That said, if you need want to make more than the 2-4 servings here, all you need to do is double or triple the ingredients to fit the 6 quart cooker and you’re all set.
This chicken recipe is by far our favorite. The ginger, garlic, cilantro and tomato all come together and bring about a very distinct flavor. The chicken itself falls apart as it cooks which allows it to absorb those flavors very nicely.
To start, you’ll need the following ingredients – this is for 2-4 servings so adjust your ingredients for bigger batches.
- 1.5lbs of Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs, make sure to remove any visible fat and veins. You can also use Chicken Breasts, just make sure to cut them up into strips so they break down easily in the sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of grated Fresh Ginger.
- 2 tablespoons of minced Fresh Garlic. Use less if you prefer, but fair warning, it won’t be as yummilicious.
- 2 teaspoons of Brown Sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dried Red Pepper Flakes. Don’t go overboard so it doesn’t overpower the other flavors.
- 2 tablespoons of Instant Pearl Tapioca – To thicken sauce and can be found at most grocery stores. Gluten Free
- 3-4 tablespoons of coarsely chopped Cilantro. You can go a little heavy handed here, stems are fine.
- 2 cans of your favorite Diced Tomatoes. You can substitute one for another with Roasted Garlic and/or Onion for added flavor if you wish.
Place the prepared chicken at the bottom of your cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients to make the sauce and pour it over the chicken. Top your ingredients with enough water to reach about 1/2 an inch from the top of your cooker as needed. Set your cooker to 3.5hrs on High or 6.5hrs on Low. And the waiting begins.
When time is up, stir and adjust the seasoning as needed and let it cook for an additional 1-2hrs. You will find that the chicken, for the most part, breaks down into stringy threads and blends with the sauce producing a flavor so out of this world. Think: Ginger, Garlic, Cilantro, Tomato and that faint hint of heat. Mmmmmmmmoutth watering.
Once ready, serve it with Whole Wheat Couscous or Rice. You can also try it with most other starches if you prefer. If you have Gluten Intolerance or sensitivity, do not use Couscous, most brands of Brown Rice will worn instead.