This is a delicious, and of course very nutritious, go to side dish that can also be served as a meatless main over rice. It is easy and quick to prepare too since it doesn’t require extensive cooking.
This is what you will need for 2-4 servings:
- A bunch of fresh Spinach, wash very well to get rid of all sand, soil, etc. – Alternately you can use 4 cups of loosely packed packaged spinach, but try to avoid baby spinach as much as possible.
- 1 large Onion
- 1-2 medium Shallots
- 6-8 cloves of Garlic, minced – Alternately, using 2-3 tablespoons of the pre-minced store bought variety will work very well too.
- 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste, we prefer Pink Himalayan but regular Sea Salt will be just fine.
- Optional seasoning: Pinch of Lemon Salt (Citric Acid) or Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Mandolin with guard – Cut even slices quicker
- Cut resistant Gloves – Protect those digits easily
- Onion Goggles – Well, you are cutting onions..
And to make it, here is what you’ll need to do
- Cut the onion in half and slice thinly, the thinner the better in this case. See our useful tools listed above
- Repeat with the Shallots.
- In a large saucepan heat the Olive Oil on medium high. And add the Onion and Shallots after a minute or two.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mixture becomes translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the Garlic, seasoning and salt. Continue stirring for about 3-5 minutes.
- If it becomes too dry, add a 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn the heat off. Add the Spinach and stir, coating it very well with the Onion, Shallot and Garlic mixture until it wilts completely.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve. You can also serve it over rice a a main dish.