So Brussels Sprouts may have a bad reputation, but not in our Kitchen – we have a picky eater and 4yr old testers to prove we’re onto something here.
Here’s what you’ll need to turn these little guys into awesomeness:
- 16oz package of fresh Brussels Sprouts – do not use frozen sprouts. Wash them, trim any dark or wilted outer leaves and split each Sprout in half lengthways.
- 2 large Carrots, slice into thin discs – we prefer Purple or Rainbow Carrots for their colors, but any will do.
- 1 large Onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 medium-large Shallot, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 medium-large Tomato, diced small
- 1 small hot red Pepper such as Chili, Cayenne, Thai, Cherry or any other to your taste and desired spice level, diced as small as you can – It shouldn’t be overwhelmingly spicy, just a subtle hint to complement the other ingredient not overshadow them.
- 2-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- Optional: Handful of chopped Chives and Pecans, or more if desired
- Mandolin with guard – Cut even slices quicker
- Cut resistant Gloves – Protect those digits easily
- Onion Goggles – Well, you are cutting onions..
- Food Steamer – Steams your food and retains more of its nutritional value.
And to make it, here is what you’ll need to do
- Steam the Sprouts for 11 minutes or according to your appliance directions.
- Cut the onion in half and slice thinly, the thinner the better. See our useful tools listed above
- Repeat with the Shallots.
- Dice the Tomato and Pepper as small as possible.
- In a large saucepan heat the Olive Oil on medium high. And add the Onion and Shallots after a minute or two.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mixture becomes translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the Tomato, Pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste. Continue stirring for about 3-5 minutes.
- If it becomes too dry, add a 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn the heat off. Add the Sprouts and stir for a few minutes, coating it well with the sauteed mixture. Adjust the seasoning.
- Optional: Sprinkle with the chopped Chives and Pecans before serving